Spring by Kathryn White

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mother Culture Morning

This term or concept was first introduced to me on my journey of homeschooling our four children.
Karen Andreola revived Mother Culture, 'an obscure term from the past, and has coined the phrase for today’s busy hardworking homeschooling mom. This is her favorite message to give, as the joys and advantages of Mother Culture overflow into the family circle.
To partake in Mother Culture is to feed herself with the Word of God, with ideas from books, nature, art, music, etc., thus taking care to keep growing spiritually and mentally. If there such is a thing as the joy of childhood, there is also such a thing as the joy of motherhood, and Karen admonishes mothers to recognize and live within such a blessing.
For a mother to allow herself a bit of leisure to rest and refresh herself by exploring her own interests, to find a little time for herself, especially when so many others depend on her, is a what Karen calls, Mother Culture' ®.

* Added:
I had no idea that the author I mentioned above, Karen Andreola has a blog. She left me such a lovely comment on this post which led me to discover that she has created a delightful blog, combining all of my favourites. Have a peek...I think you will love it!
I have on my shelf a number of her books found in the sidebar of her blog which I have often referred to. Her blog can be found here.
Thank you again Karen for your inspiration to my family as well as countless others over the years.

I am so thankful that over the years I have made it a priority to enjoy the beauty of the arts, and as a result, my children are keen, avid readers, with a love of the arts and music. They often share their photography, quotes, music, art, books and movies with me that inspire them...
It thrills and blesses me.
This morning I am setting some time aside to indulge in Mother Culture as it is my first day at home this week, and the weather outside is more than a bit nippy.(-21'c)
I am enjoying my morning coffee, reading some of my library books, studying the work of local artist, Barry McCarthy which is absolutely gorgeous, and listening to music by Italian contemporary music composer and pianist, Ludovico Einaudi, that my oldest daughter in India emailed to me recently.

Wishing you all pleasant moments and gentle joys in your days...


"I believe the nicest and sweetest days
are not those on which anything very splendid
or wonderful or exciting happens,
but just those that bring simple little pleasures,
following one another softly,
like pearls slipping off a string."

~L. M. Montgomery



Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch,
but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same.
~Helen Keller