Spring by Kathryn White

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Friendship and Front Porches

art by Catherine Simpson

Although I do not have a large front porch, there is something nostalgic and old-fashioned about taking tea on the front porch. So when I had the opportunity last week to prepare for some of my friends who were coming for an afternoon tea visit, I took advantage of the space I had to create a front porch tea room.
I set up in the hallway leading out to the front porch:

And decorated the front porch like a tea room:



I set out my favourite magazines for browsing:
And we shared in a british afternoon tea:
The five of us spent a leisurely afternoon sharing and laughing, reminiscing and story-telling. Interestingly enough I have discovered that a woman does not need to learn how to talk as it seems to come so naturally! We had a lot of fun together and forged stronger friendships over afternoon tea.
For more ideas on front porch living, check out this beautiful blog:
The Inspired Room
"Friends in your life are like pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up and sometimes they lean on you. Sometimes it's just enough to know they're standing by."
~Elizabeth Foley