Spring by Kathryn White

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Drive

This past week I was honoured by family and friends as I celebrated another year of God's goodness and faithfulness in my life.
I did have company in, but my one request was to visit my favourite town in Southern Ontario,
Niagara-on-the-Lake.
It is one of the prettiest yet oldest towns in Ontario, with so much history and such character.
We have fond memories of this town as we have often visited on birthdays and anniversaries.

Added: Winston Churchill once described the Niagara Parkway, which runs along the Niagara river from Fort Erie to Niagara-on- the-Lake, as the “prettiest Sunday afternoon drive in the world.”
With a picnic lunch packed, we headed after church to the Niagara region where we picked up my mother from her nursing home so she could join us in the pleasure of an afternoon Sunday drive/picnic.
We found a shaded spot over-looking the Niagara River and Lake Ontario to enjoy our lunch while watching the activity on the water. It was very busy with many boaters, both speed and sail boats as well as families out with their children enjoying being near the water on this very warm day.





With camera in tow, my hubby and I took a walk around a few blocks while my mother had some bonding time with my youngest daughter. I love the front porches and the gardens:
My favourite artist Trisha Romance has a gallery here:
Beautiful Hotels:

Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides:
Victorian Houses converted into Shops:
Looking over the Garden Gate:
Front Porches:
Iron Gate:
Pretty Wooden Gate....so colourful and cheerful:
Another Iron Gate:
Our usual Sunday morning drive to church is always slowed down by this:

As I was driving through Niagara-on-the-Lake, I was slowed down by this and had to capture it on photo to show my car-crazy son who wasn't able to join us:


Such contrasts in this world of ours! After our time in Niagara-on-the-Lake, we took my mom to visit my sister and her family where we enjoyed a coffee and some catch-up time with them as well as with my youngest brother and his family, before heading back to the nursing home to bid farewell and then the long, hot drive home again. Despite the warm temperatures, it was a wonderful day!