Spring by Kathryn White

Friday, August 6, 2010

Beauty in the Bounty

Over the past few weeks I have admired all the beautiful fruit and vegetables at the market, in the gardens, and also in my home.

Jewels of Nature:

Red Currents


Gooseberries




Strawberries



Cherries

Blueberries
Last week when I had time to begin pickling some of the produce that I was the grateful recipient of, I asked my hubby if he would be willing to bring up some jars from the basement storage room. I had to laugh when he proudly brought all these jars up only to inform me that there were plenty more if I thought I needed them.

My only thought was:


GREAT EXPECTATIONS!


I have never pickled or canned any vegetables before and so this was all new to me. I got busy making bread and butter pickles last week and hope that they will turn out when it is time to enjoy them.

And yesterday my oldest daughter and I made the pickled beets... such a gorgeous colour!


The finished product:


Red Current Jelly in the foreground:

My daughter is grating the last of the zucchini to put in the freezer. Our Braun food processor broke so she had to use a hand grater...good for building arm muscles:)

We had a houseful of company yesterday as my middle daughter hosted a pool party/sleepover event, so we also managed to get some baking in which I will share in another post for another day as the recipes were wonderful! I am heading off to the library now and will be working again tomorrow but can't wait to post some awesome photos of the countryside again next week. The gardens, the produce and the flower stands are in abundance at this time of year.


Have a wonderful weekend!
Joanne