Spring by Kathryn White

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer: Thunderstorms and an Earthquake

The humidity levels were high, the air was heavy,
and the clouds were brooding and threatening.
In the early morning hours we awoke to loud thunder as streaks of lightening filled the sky.
I find thunderstorms fascinating to watch
as I witness God's power in the heavens...

The rain continued into the morning, so I took my umbrella and went out to enjoy it as I captured some photos. I love the drops of rain; the design they made reminds me of embossed ceiling tin: Our newly transplanted hostas, a gift from my sister, are thankful for the rain:

I moved the Boston ferns and planters off the porch where they could receive a nice gentle rinse and feed:

Overflowing eaves and dripping leaves:
Sunshine, blue skies and gorgeous cumulus clouds this afternoon:...And yesterday my family felt it. I must have been too busy at the library to notice, although I heard patrons discuss the earthquake that rattled the earth and scared many people, in particular those who live in the greater Toronto area as well as into Quebec and beyond.

"The quake struck at 1:41 p.m. and lasted about 30 seconds. It hit the Ottawa area hardest but strong tremors were felt in Toronto and most of southern Ontario.
Early reports said the magnitude was 5.5; it was later downgraded to 5.0. The epicentre was 45 kilometres north of Gatineau, Que., about 18 kilometres below the surface. People as far away as New York, Vermont, Michigan and Illinois reported feeling the tremors."
You can read more about it here.
Added:
This is what my friend Shannon shared this morning on her devotional blog.
You can read it here....so thought-provoking!
"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam.
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge…
Be still, and know that I am God.
Psalm 46:1-3, 10