Spring by Kathryn White

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quiet Beauty of Winter

It has been a quiet, relaxing day today at home getting caught up with the laundry, baking, cleaning, making some phone calls, working on my course assignment and enjoying a brisk afternoon walk with my daughter. Although I left my camera at home, I did take these winter scenes yesterday on my walk with hubby. One of my resolutions is to walk daily for fresh air and exercise, and so far I have been doing well. I feel less tired and more energetic. I have appreciated each winter day and find that as I take in the quiet beauty of winter, I have come to embrace the season more and am so thankful for the reminder once again, that each season has its own beauty and treasures.


In the stillness of the garden:

Walking through a cathedral of trees:

Rambling fence lines:

Stone foundation:



I can't resist saying this:
It's a jungle out there!
Don't these snow formations on the trees
look like snakes?
I love it!





Evidence of wood peckers:


Hmm...wonder what is in there?


One of the cottages along the lake:


Even the swings are still;
awaiting the carefree days of summer:


We have been eating plenty of oranges, both naval and mandarin,
perfect for a healthy snack along with freshly baked bran muffins:


My recent vintage find c. 1948
It has been a long time since I have played scrabble,
but I enjoyed several games this afternoon
with my daughter.
Although our words are not very articulate...
practice will make perfect!
I was excited to play seven letters in a row with a
favourite word of mine: vintage!


During these winter evenings
we have enjoyed reading
as well as watching videos
in our family room,
including more travel videos of Italy by Rick Steves.
We are still brushing up on our knowledge
of the country along with its food and cultures.


Winter is the time for comfort,
for good food and warmth,
for the touch of a friendly hand
and for a talk beside the fire:
it is the time for home.
~Edith Sitwell