Spring by Kathryn White

Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Grandma's Kitchen

Recently I came across a poem that has hung in many kitchens in the past generation. It reminded me again of the importance of making the kitchen the center of the home with each meal prepared as a service to my family and to those who grace our table.
It makes me feel nostalgic and sentimental to reflect on the days when the kitchen truly was the epicentre or heart of the home and the dining table was where great conversations happened over a hearty meal.
It was a time of coming together, sharing the events of the day, and offering encouragement to one another around a comforting and nourishing meal.
Life has gotten so busy for many families, including our own. I think that is why
I cherish the Christmas season so much.
It is such a joy to be gathered around the table with family and friends, making me so grateful for those special times.
It is my renewed desire to make each meal a pleasant event around our dining table as I create special memories for my family and for all those who grace us with their presence at our table.




God bless my little kitchen,
I love its every nook,
And bless me as I do my work,
Wash pots and pans and cook.
And may the meals that I prepare
Be seasoned from above
With Thy great blessings and Thy grace,
But most of all Thy love.
As we partake of earthly food,
The table before us spread,
We’ll not forget to thank Thee, Lord,
Who gives us daily bread.
So bless my little kitchen, God,
And those who enter in,
May they find naught but Joy and Peace,
And Happiness therein.
Author: M. Peterson (1944)


I have mentioned Gladys before in a blog post recently as I admire her gentle reflections and astute observations of the world around her. Gladys Taber (1899-1980) is the author of 59 books and was also a columnist for the Ladies Home Journal entitled, Diary of Domesticity.
She is a kindred spirit in her love of country life, nature, good home-cooked meals and being a keeper of the home.
You can take a visit to Stillmeadow here


“Traveling is all very well if you can get home at night. I would be willing to go around the world if I came back in time to light the candles and set the table for supper. I cannot conceivably influence the world's destiny, but I can make my own life more worthwhile. I can give some help to some people; that is not vital to all the world's problems and yet I think if everyone did just that, we might see quite a world in our time!”
"At Stillmeadow, there is no predicting. (the time of our meal) But in the end, we always manage to sit down to a candle-lit table and the rib roast is not overdone and the Yorkshire pudding is crusty and tender with rich juices bubbling at the edges and the salad is not wilted. I even have remembered to take the cheese from the refrigerator so it has become room temperature, and I did not park the fruit bowl on the radiator! When everyone takes that first mouthful and breathes a happy sigh, that is the time I relax and become the gracious hostess. My hair may not look like a Vogue illustration and my face is shiny and I never did find time to slip into that fresh frock, but I am a very happy woman."
~Gladys Taber



The ordinary arts we practice every day
at home are of more importance to the
soul than their simplicity might suggest.
~Thomas More



No matter where I serve my my guests,
It seems they like the kitchen best.


Bless this Home
Ella Miller

Bless this home, O Lord, we pray
Guard it safely night and day,
Bless the family living here
Bind them close with love and cheer.

Bless the food which is prepared
And each guest with whom it's shared.
Bless the children through the years
Guide them in their joys and tears.

Bless the Mother - tender, kind
And the Father by her side
Bless their pure and faithful love
Making home like Heaven above.

Bless this home, O Lord, we pray
Where we live and walk and play,
Bless us all that ever we
May live O gracious Lord, with Thee.