Spring by Kathryn White

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Of Blustery Days, British Tea and Bread Pudding...


British artist John William Waterhouse 1902


We awoke this morning to a foggy, rainy and windy day of the blustery sort.
The pretty snow scene I posted about several days ago now looks like this:
This day had the makings of a perfectly wonderful puttery sort of stay-at-home day which I have done, although I will be leaving for work shortly.
I did want to post this recipe because at my british tea on Sunday, I served cucumber sandwiches without the crust as is proper for a british tea. I shared that with the crusts of the bread I like to make bread pudding. Actually, my daughter who is in India presently, makes one of the best bread puddings....she would have gladly made one for us, but alas, she is too far away so I made one this afternoon. It really isn't complicating and the aroma is just wonderful as it fills the house with spices. You can modify this recipe if you like. I added cloves and a pinch of nutmeg to bring out the cinnamon flavour. I also added an extra dash of pure vanilla as I didn't have rum in the house, and sprinkled sliced almonds on top.

My hubby and girls will be pleased when they come home.

Rum Raisin Bread Pudding

Ingredients

* 3 cups milk
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons rum
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 7 (1/2-inch) slices bread, cubed or torn
* 4 eggs, beaten

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large saucepan, add milk, butter,
vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar,
rum and raisins and heat until warm.
Simmer and stir until sugar dissolves.

Into a large bowl add the cubed bread
and pour in the hot milk mixture.
Let sit for 30 minutes so the bread absorbs the milk.

Add the beaten eggs to the bread and milk mixture and stir.
Pour bread pudding into a buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish
and bake for 50 minutes. Serve topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Added: My hubby surprised me by coming home early today to do some office work, so he was eager to sample the bread pudding along with a cup of tea. His verdict: excellent and delicious says he:)