Spring by Kathryn White

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Tribute to Farmers Everywhere!

This morning I awoke to the glorious sound of rainfall and birdsong. Although we have enjoyed lovely weather this Spring, with record-high temperatures, it has been exceptionally dry on the land. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed many farmers getting their equipment ready to begin their Spring field work of cultivation and planting. Many have been working up the soil in preparation for seed planting. I marvel at how the farmer is so in tune with the land, and how observant and aware of the weather he is. The farmer's livelihood is so dependent on favourable weather conditions. Farmers understand the idiom or phrase/expression: "Make hay while the sun shines" and they make the most of their opportunities while the conditions are right. I have seen farmers out working in the fields long past sundown and into the wee hours of the morning, just to get their field work completed.
I grew up on a farm, the daughter of a farmer, thus making me a farmer's daughter. I remember the adage/philosophy we grew up with: "A farmer's work is never done! " I didn't always appreciate it while being on the farm, but have since matured and gained in wisdom (somewhat) and can truly say that I have the greatest respect and admiration for the farmers. As I have observed the work of the farmers in this wonderful rural community, but also the farmers at large (including two of my brothers A&D), I want to acknowledge their gift to the agricultural industry in providing food for the consumer. (that's you and me) When the sun is shining and the weather is fair, be thankful! But when the clouds are gathering and it begins to rain, also be thankful! For the rain that waters the earth will produce a bountiful harvest! There is so much in the Bible about farming, that I just had to include it, along with recent photos of the farming activity in our area. You can see on some of the photos,(click photo to enlarge) just how dry and dusty it has been here. When the Spring rains come, I will rejoice. And if it snows again, I will still rejoice, knowing that the snow will bring needed moisture and nitrogen to the soil.















"For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you. "
-- 2 Corinthians 9:10

"Let us acknowledge the LORD;
let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth." -- Hosea 6:3

"I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit." -- Leviticus 26:4

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater..."
-- Isaiah 55:10

"Ask the LORD for rain in the springtime; it is the LORD who makes the storm clouds. He gives showers of rain to men, and plants of the field to everyone."
-- Zechariah 10:1

"When you see a cloud rising in the west, immediately you say, 'It's going to rain,' and it does. And when the south wind blows, you say, 'It's going to be hot,' and it is." --Luke 12:54, 55





















The Weather Network is Canada's only 24-hour specialty channel devoted to Canadians' favourite topic of conversation -- the weather!
There is a great weather forecast for the farmer here:
http://www.farmzone.com/index.php?product=farmweather&placecode=SO028

Farmer's Almanac:
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/

Poor Man's Fertilizer: http://www.weathernotebook.org/transcripts/1999/04/26.html



Have you thanked a Farmer today?


The Farmer's Song
by Murray McLauchlan
(I loved this song when I was young, and just thought about it the other day, so I thought I would share it with you; to listen to this song, be sure to pause playlist at sidebar)